Friday, May 21, 2010

Yurt Window Covers

One of the last things I just finished on the yurt are the window covers. Since I sewed the clear plastic directly into the wall cutting out the canvas material, I had no way to cover the windows unless I made covers. I thought about different ways to attach the window covers, like heavy plastic zippers, rope and grommets or velcro, and the velcro won. It also made the most sense to attach the window covers on the outside of the yurt, which at first sounds inconvenient, but its not actually that bad. Attaching the window covers on the inside would be nearly impossible since the khana are in the way between you and the canvas wall and windows. If you want to open up the window covers to let in light in the morning, you have to go outside. Also, if somebody walks by, they can just yank open a cover an look in. But so far, I haven't encountered any weirdos in the middle of the forest that have done that. And usually in the morning when I need a bathroom break in the woods, thats also a good time to open up the covers to let some light into the yurt.


Yurt Windows
Close up of the velcro that attaches the window covers.


I started by sewing the hooked part of the velcro strip onto the canvas wall bordering the windows. Then I measured out a slightly over-sized piece of canvas which would be the actual cover, and hemmed the edges. Finally I sewed the fuzzy soft part of the velcro strip around the edges of the canvas cover. I chose to put the hooked side on the yurt wall because it is easier to clean if the wall gets dirty. The covers have a better chance of staying clean.


Yurt Windows
The first step is to get the window cover aligned with the window.


I started experimenting with different ways of attaching the covers over the windows. Since they attach with velcro, you can slap then on almost any way you like. The best option I found was to put the window cover on completely, and then peel back the cover until you expose enough of the window to let in as much light as you want.


Yurt Windows
The second step is to stick the window cover onto the window and press the velcro together so it sticks.



Yurt Windows
A window covered by its cover.



Yurt Windows
Peel back the window cover until you have enough light coming through the window.



Yurt Windows
This is what a half peeled down window cover looks like from the inside of the yurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment