Sunday, May 5, 2013

Re-doing Plastic to Screen Windows

I have been camping in the yurt in some pretty warm weather, which made me finally decide that having clear plastic windows that can't open sucks! Its kind of like a green house effect. So today I started tearing out the plastic windows and sewing in a mesh layer. Now the windows are breathable but the clear plastic can still be stuck on via velcro strips, for colder days.

Yurt Screen Window
I laid a piece of tent mesh onto the window opening to start.


I got the mesh fabric from a tent repair place in Berkeley called Narain's on San Pablo. It was about $10/yd, but its really nice high quality stuff that all the good tents are made of. It's strong and doesn't rip. It is fabric, not the kind of mesh on screen doors, which is kind of metal.

Yurt Screen Window
I sewed the velcro strip on top of the mesh, to hold the mesh secure in place.


It was difficult working with the light and wispy mesh. It was hard sewing it onto the more stiff canvas without getting waves in the mesh. It took me a few hours to do one window, mainly because I spent a lot of time pinning the fabric in place, and fighting with the sewing machine! But the time and effort was worth it. I just kept thinking in my head: fresh air fresh air fresh air!!

Yurt Screen Window
After all the velcro strips were sewn, I cut the extra mesh.


The final step was to cut off all the extra mesh that stuck out past the velcro strips. Once I cut it away (with a seam ripper, which worked great!), the windows look very neat. I can't wait to test the new windows out!



3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for documenting your process and progress! I really enjoyed the whole blog; it is very well written!

    It seems you haven't updated in a couple of years, so I'm guessing the project is now officially complete. Congratulations! If I could talk you into another post, I was wondering, how close did you come to your budget goal of $1000? I have a similar goal, but I fear it may be too conservative.
    Also, have you painted the crown? And have there been any failures/repairs in your design (seams, joints, exposure, etc.)

    Thanks again for such a beautifully executed play by play of your equally beautiful yurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dear,

    I like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Useful For me.

    Welcome to Indiegogo. We provide yoga studio yurt and easy giuded meditation yurt for sale with the affordable price at indiegogo.com in the USA.

    More Visit - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yurts4soul-your-very-own-dome-4-yoga-meditation#/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got the good information through your blog; I will share this to my friends as well.

    Mesh screen window
    Sliding screen doors

    ReplyDelete